For months before my birthday, I asked, begged, and pleaded for a pet. Mom agreed that it was probably time for SOMETHING. Dad was VERY resistant. I started out asking for cat. That was shot down immediately. As was a dog, bunny, guinea pig, and hamster. I saw my parents start to waiver when I mentioned a turtle. Dad countered with a hermit crab. I was ADAMENT that I needed the turtle.
During the week leading up to my birthday, Mom took us to a pet store to look around. We found out that you have to be 12 to have a turtle. So Dad won and we went as a family to get our first pet. Mom and Dad imagined a little fishbowl with a little hermit crab inside. Ha!
In talking to the salesman (he TOTALLY saw Dad coming!), we found out that hermit crabs don't like to live at alone. You need to buy at least 3 to start with. (Dad was okay with this...they were only 5 dollars each.) And then we found out that one can't keep them in a little bowl, you have you to have an aquarium with a lid that will help keep the environment warm and humid. And the list just went on from there...substrate, food, food dishes, water treatment drops, toys.
After only an hour and $100, we headed home to set up our new pets!
Someone trusted Little B to hold the temporary home. Good thing he's cute...The finished product. We have found that they are fascinating creatures. We have spent hours in front of the cage observing them. Definitely a good choice for a first pet!
Welcome to the family, Patrick, Max, and Spencer. We'll see how long we can keep them alive. We think of this as our pet experiment!
No comments:
Post a Comment